[vlc-devel] Re: vlc and rtp

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Thu Oct 23 08:57:45 CEST 2003

Steven Brown wrote:
> Okay, so I've tried the following:
>
> 1) vlc file.mpg --sout udp://client
> This works, but it chooses the output mux as TS.
>
> 2) vlc file.mpg --sout rtp/ps://client
> This does not work.  As you stated, it seems VLC does not support PS
> over RTP.

Correct vlc only supports TS over RTP so your commandline becomes:
vlc file.mpg --sout rtp/ts://client

> 3) vlc file.mpg --sout udp/ps://client
> This also does not work, as it gives me "packet size > MTU" messages.

Correct, PS itself is not streamable and must be packaged in TS before
it can be streamed.

> Method 1 is the only way I can get it to work.  Is it possible to get
> method 2 to work?  I would like to stream the original PS, I don't care
> about what protocol it uses, but I don't want it going through a TS mux,
> if possible.

Even with packaging PS into TS you stream the original content only
chopped up differently. If you want a binary copy of the file, then you
will have to revert to http or ftp streaming.

> Also, I just want to verify the format of the command-line:

See above comments.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman