[vlc-devel] Can you program for OS X?

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Fri Sep 19 21:55:10 CEST 2003

Hi all,

Of course we are always looking for new developers, but atm I'm
personally interested in an extra OS X developer. Currently I'm the
only 'active'/'full time' os x developer. I'm somewhat busy of late
with some other activities, which will keep me busy for the rest of the
year as well.
Having the OS X GUI working/up to date for each release is kinda taking
most of the time I have for VLC, and of late i like working on VLC at a
lower level too. Unfortunately, there are like a zillion things on my
wishlist for OSX which i simply never seem to get around to.

I'm gonna name some things and if you have ANY of these capabilities
and would like to participate in the development of a cool video player
that is being downloaded by tens of thousands of users, then that would
be great.
It would speed up the development of VLC OS X, and for me personally
it's cool to be actively working on something with someone else. helps
to keep you motivated :)

- knowledge of objective c
- knowledge of cocoa
- you support opensource
- knowledge of c (c++)
- you have worked on OSX applications before.
- thorough knowledge of coreaudio API (anyone please, we could really
use some more help on this area)
- thorough knowledge of QuickTime or QuickDraw API (wouldn't hurt,
though this part of VLC is pretty static.)

It would probably take you some time to get up to speed with VLC's
structure, but when I started, VLC was only the third Cocoa application
i had worked on, and I had very little real programming experience.
Don't be afraid, you'll get the hang of it.

---
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan Hartman (thedj at users.sourceforge.net)
Co-Developer of the MacOS X port of vlc