[vlc-devel] Re: 0.6.3 changes to Red Hat

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Mon Sep 22 02:37:07 CEST 2003

On maandag, sep 22, 2003, at 01:16 Europe/Amsterdam, Gildas Bazin wrote:
> On Sunday 21 September 2003 23:29, Jason Luka wrote:
>>
>> Was not aware the Wx was the interface of choice. I can keep that one
>> in
>> there, but ALSA is definitely redundant in Red Hat.
>>

> Yes the wxWindows interface is the most up to date interface for linux
> so I
> would strongly advise to include it in the package.

In other news, the qt and kde interfaces are most out of date, and i'd
rather discourage the use of those :)

> As for ALSA, it is the only audio output plugin that allows
> multichannel
> audio on Linux so I would also advise you to include it (and after
> all, OSS
> has been deprecated in the 2.6.x kernel).

ALSA is supposed to be the system for the future, so i think we should
try to use it as much as possible. OSS of course cannot go since it's
the most widely used. The other systems like esd etc. i'm totally
unaware of their current status/stability. Does anyone else know this?

The problem is of course that VLC makes use of a lot of external
projects, and with rpm based installs, this is more liable to run into
problems. I can see why you'd want to limit the number of dependancies.
However these two are more important then xvid (alternative in ffmpeg)
libdv (alternative in ffmpeg), esd, arts, sdl, theora, aalib and flac.

DJ

---
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan Hartman (thedj at users.sourceforge.net)