[vlc-devel] Re: interprocess communication?

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Mon Sep 22 17:00:25 CEST 2003

Hello,

> I would like to know if VLC supports interprocess communication.
>
> I've looked through all the documentation I can find for VLC, and I
> cannot find any information on this matter... so, I'm assuming it is
> not supported.  But I could have easily missed something.  I would
> like to be able to poll information from VLC (for example, the current
> FPS), using another application that I would develop.  Platform is
> Linux.

As far as I know, it does not ... we got around this by developing a
control / communications module that lets another application control
(and query) VLC over a socket connection.  If you like, I can tell you
the steps we did to do this, though it means getting jiggy with the
source code.

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou