[vlc-devel] Re: WINXP: changes to dshow access module to support WDM Capture Card such as ATI AIW

Damien Fouilleul damien.fouilleul at laposte.net
Thu Apr 8 15:29:31 CEST 2004

Gildas Bazin wrote:

>On Thursday 08 April 2004 12:54, Damien Fouilleul wrote:
>

>>All,
>>
>>I've made changes to the ../modules/access/dshow/dshow.cpp and
>>../modules/access/dshow/filter.cpp files to use ICaptureGraphBuilder2
>>COM to build  the DirectShow Capture graph. This result in a more
>>compatible mechanism to use DirectShow Capture cards, and would be the
>>preferred way for WDM Capture Card.
>>
>>I've managed to stream my ATI All-In-Wonder TV Capture card through VLC
>>on my wireless network, and the result is stunning, way better than ATI
>>MultiMedia Center solution. I also tested this code with my USB Webcam,
>>which also works fine.
>>

>That's really cool news :)
>
>Do your changes rely on the Mircosoft DirectShow Base Class code ? Because
>I've got to great pains to avoid using any of this because of licensing
>issues.

Nope,  I've inserted all the new GUIDS and IID and other definitions in
filter.cpp just like it is currently done, to support the new code.
There's no dependency on directshow SDK at all.

the new code just looks as bad as the orginal one :)

>>anyway, I am quite willing to check in the code change if anyone would
>>give me CVS write access.
>>

>Well, I'm sure you will understand that we'll not give SVN (we switched to
>subversion recently) write access without having some kind of warranty that
>you know what you're doing.
>I would suggest posting a patch of your changes against the SVN version and
>I'm sure that if the patch is found worthy by the developers, you'll be
>able to get SVN write access.
>
>--
>Gildas

That's fair enough, although I am fairly confident my code does not
cause any new 'crashing' bugs, the configuration side is a bit basic.
The current VLC DirectShow configuration panel does not suit Complex
Capture card, such as the AIW, very well.

For example, I need to be able to select a Video Source from the AIW
capture card (composite, S-Video, Tuner), and I currently hard code to
tuner. Similarily, WDM Driver provides up to 7 different properties
pages, and unfortunately I can't combine them onto one OlePropertyFrame.
Hence, I currently have  to show them one window at at a time when
configure is it.

Any insight would be welcomed