[vlc-devel] Re: modifying vlc player

LATIFZAI, EMAL (JSC-ER2) (NASA) emal.latifzai-1 at nasa.gov
Wed Apr 14 21:36:04 CEST 2004

Emal

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Paul Saman [mailto:jean-paul.saman at planet.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 2:13 PM
To: vlc-devel at videolan.org
Subject: [vlc-devel] Re: modifying vlc player

LATIFZAI, EMAL (JSC-ER2) (NASA) wrote:

>>I've looked at the vlc player and I definitely like what you guys have
done
>>here.  Currently I'm working on a project of wireless streaming of mpeg-2
>>(es, ps, or ts) video using multicast in a vxworks environment, although
I'm
>>going to build the system on windows 2000 and then modify it to work on
>>vxworks. I tested out your player/streamer (on windows) by using one vlc
as
>>the server and another as the client and it worked beautifully.  However,
>>want to take away all of the redundant (in reference to my project)
>>capabilities since modifying the system to work on vxworks instead of on
>>windows is quite complicated with all of these libraries and functions I
>>
>Are you going to submit the changes to vlc vxworks port back to this
>community?

Perhaps I should introduce myself.  I'm a coop working here at NASA. What I
have described to you is the task I have been given to do.  Because I'm new
here at my job and obviously because this task is going to be integrated
into a bigger project, I don't quite know how much I will be able to
contribute back to the community after I make my modifications.  However, my
best guess would be that I will be able to submit most of the changes if not
all since my specific task would not be against export rules (only a guess
though).  So my answer to you right now is I have to wait to see what the
whole picture looks like at the end, discuss the submission with my
supervisors, and if they agree, then I'll submit. I hope this is fine with
everyone because I really like the project, would love to work with it, and
welcome all the help and advice.

>>really don't need.  So can anyone please give me a hand here?  I would
>>really appreciate it if you can point out exactly which libraries I need
and
>>which ones I don't. I want to keep the gui and be able to the above
>>mentioned task only; besides that, if I can get rid of anything, I would
>>like to.  I want the program to be as lean as possible.  Thanks.
>

>Do you need streaming capabilies for VLC?
>If so then you need ffmpeg, libdvbpsi and mpeg2dec, otherwise only
>mpeg2dec and libdvbpsi are needed. On the configure line you can use
>--disable--xxx for the modules you do not want (substitute xxx for a VLC
>module). Further more after doing a ./configure .... the file vlc-config
>can be tweaked to limit other plugins.

Thanks for the help.

---