[vlc-devel] Re: modifying vlc player

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Wed Apr 14 21:12:47 CEST 2004

LATIFZAI, EMAL (JSC-ER2) (NASA) wrote:

>I've looked at the vlc player and I definitely like what you guys have done
>here.  Currently I'm working on a project of wireless streaming of mpeg-2
>(es, ps, or ts) video using multicast in a vxworks environment, although I'm
>going to build the system on windows 2000 and then modify it to work on
>vxworks. I tested out your player/streamer (on windows) by using one vlc as
>the server and another as the client and it worked beautifully.  However, I
>want to take away all of the redundant (in reference to my project)
>capabilities since modifying the system to work on vxworks instead of on
>windows is quite complicated with all of these libraries and functions I

Are you going to submit the changes to vlc vxworks port back to this
community?

>really don't need.  So can anyone please give me a hand here?  I would
>really appreciate it if you can point out exactly which libraries I need and
>which ones I don't. I want to keep the gui and be able to the above
>mentioned task only; besides that, if I can get rid of anything, I would
>like to.  I want the program to be as lean as possible.  Thanks.

Do you need streaming capabilies for VLC?
If so then you need ffmpeg, libdvbpsi and mpeg2dec, otherwise only
mpeg2dec and libdvbpsi are needed. On the configure line you can use
--disable--xxx for the modules you do not want (substitute xxx for a VLC
module). Further more after doing a ./configure .... the file vlc-config
can be tweaked to limit other plugins.

---

Many greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman

Consultant
VLC iPAQ maintainer                    http://www.videolan.org
RedHat Certified Engineer         RHCE number: 807202745005548