[vlc-devel] toggling deinterlacing on the fly

Stephan Assmus superstippi at gmx.de
Thu Apr 15 23:02:05 CEST 2004

Hi,

Though I think that deinterlacing should be done automatically
depending on the input stream, I would like to achieve on-the-fly
activation of the deinterlacing module. I'm still kind of new to the
vlc config functions. It appears to me that the whole vout has to be
restarted in order for config changes to take effect. What strikes me
as one simple (intermediate?) solution is this: Why not have a
deinterlacing method "off", which deactivates the deinterlacer (causes
it to pass the pictures unfiltered). Any insights as to why this would
be a bad idea or maybe undesirable? I would then install the
deinterlacer permanently, toggling its active status by the
deinterlacing method. One remaining issue is this: how is the
deinterlacer informed of changes to "deinterlace-mode"?

What's the plan for this, is this problem already solved on other
platforms?

Best regards,
-Stephan