[vlc-devel] Re: toggling deinterlacing on the fly

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Fri Apr 16 00:30:41 CEST 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 23:02, Stephan Assmus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Though I think that deinterlacing should be done automatically
> depending on the input stream, I would like to achieve on-the-fly
> activation of the deinterlacing module. I'm still kind of new to the
> vlc config functions. It appears to me that the whole vout has to be
> restarted in order for config changes to take effect.

It does because you currently can't insert video filters on the fly.

> What strikes me
> as one simple (intermediate?) solution is this: Why not have a
> deinterlacing method "off", which deactivates the deinterlacer (causes
> it to pass the pictures unfiltered). Any insights as to why this would
> be a bad idea or maybe undesirable? I would then install the
> deinterlacer permanently, toggling its active status by the
> deinterlacing method.

This is currently undesirable due to the way video filters are implemented.
Don't know if you noticed but they actually are full blown vouts which spawn
the real vout.

This should really be fixed to allow video filters which would just be
picture filters (ie. just code that takes one picture in and outputs 0 or
more pictures - because we might have temporal filtering).

Actually the current video filters are nice for certain things like the
video wall or such but we should really have the other kind as well.

--
Gildas