[vlc-devel] Re: live.com and the RTP-header marker bit

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Apr 16 07:41:50 CEST 2004

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 09:09:43AM -0800, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> >So, I'll change the implementation [of "H261VideoRTPSource"] to:
> >        (i) Deliver each packet payload (after the 4-byte "H.261 header")
> >to the caller, even if it does not constitute a complete frame, and
> >        (ii) Make the value of the 4-byte "H.261 header" (for the most
> >recently-delivered packet data) available to the caller, using a special
> >member function.
>
> FYI, I have now done this in the latest "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code
> release (2004.03.27), which you can obtain from the usual place
> <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/public/>.
>
> There is a new member function "H261VideoRTPSource::lastSpecialHeader()"
> that you can call on "tk->rtpSource" (after casting it to a
> "H261VideoRTPSource*").  (Of course, you do this only when handling H.261
> video streams.)
>
> I hope this makes things better...
I have tested this, and made it work, though it became a bit unelegant. This
is because I have to add codec specific cludges at a point that was
previously quite clean, and I have to stick the header back in front of the
packet before passing it to the decoder (in lack of a better way to pass it
around).

On the other hand, if you really want to parse the special header, wouldn't
it be better to parse out all the fields in it as well? At least that makes
sense for me, even though it would make the demux/decoder comunication even
worse.

Finally, and perhaps totally unrelated: Some streams seem to get horribly
stuck right after being synchronized using RTCP. I mean, stuck to the point
that pressing "stop" in the gui doesn't stop the stream anymore. I have to
ctrl-C vlc to get it closed.

Thanks for your cooperation on this. It is a good example of a nice
opensource attitude.

Sigmund