[vlc-devel] Re: Multichannel output on OS X.

Jean-Alexis Montignies ja at sente.ch
Tue Apr 20 15:10:34 CEST 2004

On 20 avr. 04, at 03:41, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

> I finally found some real information on how to do multichannel output
> on Mac OS X i think.
> I think this should be implemented with a AudioUnit.

Yes I knew that ;), I'm lurking on the core audio list for some years
now.

In fact there is an AudioConverter that can do (beside decoding and
downmixing) anything we need, including mapping to different channels
as you can specify in the AudioMidiSetUp applications (on every MacOSX
in utilities, you can define when you have a multi-channel interface,
you can define mapping for which outputs to use for each channel (front
left, center...) ).

The drawback is that it's not available (I think) on all MacOS X
versions.

As for non pcm digital output, if I'm not mistaken, there's no
audiounit that can handle that format yet, so it's still required to
use the HAL directly.
By the way how does VLC does for synchronizing video and audio in this
case?

As for the point of view of the interface, I think the main requirement
is to choose which type of output the user wants (stereo, dolby
surround: the one encoded in a stereo signal, quad, 5.1, 7.1, digital).
The stream to use would be another choice but there less need to expose
directly I think. The channels to use can be chosen in the AudioMidi
Setup application.

For example, in my setup, I have only 4 speakers, so I would like to
downmix the 5.1 to quad.
My father has a dolby surround setup (stereo inputs, 4 speakers).

I can start looking at the code now I've compiled it (well I don't have
AC3, but I think DTS should work though I have only a few DTS DVDs).

Jean-Alexis Montignies
http://www.sente.ch/