[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r7492 (hartman)

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Tue Apr 27 03:25:13 CEST 2004

On 27 apr 2004, at 02:47, R. Bernstein wrote:
> Derk-Jan Hartman writes:
>> if()
>> {
>>      msg_Dbg/msg_Warn/msg_Err
>>      return NULL;
>> }
>>
>> might be a lot clearer in many cases.
>
> There's a lot to do in vlc. Like when figuring out how to get vlc to
> understand a stream video change when going between still frames or a
> motion video and a stream. Or extending the transparency code in the
> SVCD/CVD subtitles to DVD subtitles.
>
> Or filling out libcdio for OSX ;-)
>
> I'd prefer folks work on getting the harder and more gaping gaps
> done.

I would prefer not. I'd rather see correct code than stuff that might
crash half the time and not report why.

> Certainly the time I spend on vlc will be oriented more towards
> these kind of things. I'm sorry I can't get excited about a
> discussion of alternative ways write a particular control flow or all
> the places where one might add a warning/debug messages.

Don't EVER join the ffmpeg-devel mailinglist :)

> However if there is a specific need or case where adding such a
> message helps, by all means please tacitly make the change. If there's
> something wrong or something I don't understand, I'll make a comment
> as I did here.
>
>> Also i found a mpg with cvd subs. i'm not really sure if it is working
>> as expected. As far as i can tell, i only see the subs in the mpeg,
>> not
>> cvd. if it are cvd subs i'm seeing, then disabling them (unselecting
>> the track) doesn't work.
>>
>> http://www.videolan.org/pub/streams/CVDsubs.mpg  (of the top of my
>> head)
>
> Not the right URL - but I didn't have to spend too much extra time
> figuring out what might have saved you some time to look up. (In
> general though, I find that if I want to get help, it's more
> thoughtful to do as much of the work I can do up front than have the
> person I'm soliciting help from infer what I mean.)

crap, i missed /videolan/

> At any rate, there are no subtitles in this MPEG. The subtitles are
> part of the video portion of the MPEG. The case would be more apparent
> if this were from a DVD since the vlc code doesn't handle subtitle
> transparancy and clearly the subtitles have some transparency in the
> MPEG. Try looking at this on a media player which *doesn't* claim to
> handle CVD/SVCD subtitles (like mplayer) and you'll see the subtitles
> still appear. With real subtitles you never see the subtitles on a
> media player that doesn't support that kind of subtitles.

Yeah i figured this. however, the messages report a CVD track, and this
is the file i noticed the ref issues with. So it does have CVD packets,
they just don't contain subs? or invalid subs?

DJ

> --

----
Universiteit Twente