[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r7492 (hartman)

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Tue Apr 27 02:47:39 CEST 2004

Derk-Jan Hartman writes:
 > correct. i was under the impression that it was redundant.
It is not. :-)

 > does it really need to depend on this variable though?

No, but that's the way it was written and the fix changed the
semantics slightly.

 > wouldn't it be
 > better if there was a default value as well? Can't it just default to 0
 > and fail if 0 isn't present?

Look at the code more carefully and you should find that to get the
same effect, no subtitles, the value would be -1. I also fail to see
how this is "better" to any significant degree. What's there is I
think perfectly clear.

 > if()
 > {
 >      msg_Dbg/msg_Warn/msg_Err
 >      return NULL;
 > }
 >
 > might be a lot clearer in many cases.

There's a lot to do in vlc. Like when figuring out how to get vlc to
understand a stream video change when going between still frames or a
motion video and a stream. Or extending the transparency code in the
SVCD/CVD subtitles to DVD subtitles.

Or filling out libcdio for OSX ;-)

I'd prefer folks work on getting the harder and more gaping gaps
done. Certainly the time I spend on vlc will be oriented more towards
these kind of things. I'm sorry I can't get excited about a
discussion of alternative ways write a particular control flow or all
the places where one might add a warning/debug messages.

However if there is a specific need or case where adding such a
message helps, by all means please tacitly make the change. If there's
something wrong or something I don't understand, I'll make a comment
as I did here.

 > Also i found a mpg with cvd subs. i'm not really sure if it is working
 > as expected. As far as i can tell, i only see the subs in the mpeg, not
 > cvd. if it are cvd subs i'm seeing, then disabling them (unselecting
 > the track) doesn't work.
 >
 > http://www.videolan.org/pub/streams/CVDsubs.mpg  (of the top of my head)

Not the right URL - but I didn't have to spend too much extra time
figuring out what might have saved you some time to look up. (In
general though, I find that if I want to get help, it's more
thoughtful to do as much of the work I can do up front than have the
person I'm soliciting help from infer what I mean.)

At any rate, there are no subtitles in this MPEG. The subtitles are
part of the video portion of the MPEG. The case would be more apparent
if this were from a DVD since the vlc code doesn't handle subtitle
transparancy and clearly the subtitles have some transparency in the
MPEG. Try looking at this on a media player which *doesn't* claim to
handle CVD/SVCD subtitles (like mplayer) and you'll see the subtitles
still appear. With real subtitles you never see the subtitles on a
media player that doesn't support that kind of subtitles.