[vlc-devel] Re: Problem compiing vlc SVN on Fedora Core 2

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Sun Aug 22 11:43:44 CEST 2004

On Sunday 22 August 2004 03:57, R. Bernstein wrote:
> Gildas Bazin writes:
>  > I'm pretty sure this happens because you have old libvlc headers
installed
>  > somewhere (/usr/include or /usr/local/include). These old headers get
>  > picked instead of the ones in your VLC tree.
>
> Many thanks. That did the trick for *compiling*.
>
> In trying to start with a clean slate I tried "make uninstall" That
> worked well enough for the includes. "make clean" from the top level
> really didn't clean much. I had to go into the modules directory and
> "make clean" from there. Shouldn't make clean in the top-level
> directory recurse?
>
> When I ran vlc, I got a core dumps. On investigation it seems that
> "make uninstall" doesn't remove all the broken modules and some of
> them were causing core dumps. In particular the dvd module, and the
> SDL module (probably among others).

The problem is that the "make clean" should have been done before updating
because when a directory is deleted for instance, the Makefiles are changed
not to include it anymore.

The trick in this case will be to do a "toolbox --distclean", which will
actually recurse in all the subdirectories.

> So now, when I run I get a really slick new OSX-like GUI.  But when I
> try to test to see if I've fixed what looks to me OGT and CVD subtitle
> breakage, I get:
>
>   vlc /src/vcd_examples/svcd_ogt_test_ntsc/avseq01.mpg --spu-channel=0
>   VLC media player 0.7.3-svn Bond
>   [00000192] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module
matched "any"
>   [00000191] skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs provider found
>   [00000191] skins2 interface: skin: VLC OSX Interface  author: BigBen
>   [00000191] skins2 interface error: Cannot open
bitmap /usr/local/share/vlc/skins2/default/reduce_mouseover.png
>   [00000191] skins2 interface error: Invalid image size (null width or
height)
>   [00000198] mpeg_audio decoder: MPGA channels:2 samplerate:44100
bitrate:128
>   [00000205] freetype private error: freetype-rel-font currenlty broken,
FIXME
>   X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for
operation)
>     Major opcode of failed request:  144 (XVideo)
>     Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
>     Serial number of failed request:  71
>     Current serial number in output stream:  72

Don't know if the crash comes from the skins plugin or not but at least it
seems that you didn't enable the wxwindows interface, which I would
recommend to do.
Another tip is that you don't necessarily have to "make install" vlc to use
it, you can run it directly from its source tree (you have to be careful
about old plugins in /usr/local though - but only plugins from the same
release number can be harmful).

> The fact that "currently" is misspelled I think suggests where the
freetype
> breakage came from ;-)

Well this is not a major breakage anyway, only the "auto-sizing" option of
the freetype subtitles is broken. The message was just put there so I don't
forget to fix it before the release ;)

> As for reduce_mouseover.png, locate shows:
>
> .../vlc-trunk/share/skins2/default/reduce_mouseover.png
>
> And indeed it is not installed although reduce.png, for example, is.

Thanks for the report, this is fixed now.

> Finally, based on a remark Gildas made a while back about fixing the dvb
> plugin was all that was needed before another release.
>
> Is this still the impression of most developers? For me right now,
> there seems to be a bit that is broken.

What was said is that DVB was the only release critical stuff that was left.
I think the only other broken plugins are the vcdx and cddax ones but to be
honest they are not release critical as we have the basic vcd and cdda
versions working. As much as I would like to have them working as well, I
just don't have the time to work on them... so I can only hope you'll have
a go at fixing them.

Apart from this I personally don't have problems with the development
version and I think all the developers agree that it is pretty stable. This
is why we wanted to start a release cycle and get a first test release out
as soon as possible (so we can get more exposure and fix any reported
issues).

--
Gildas