[vlc-devel] How is CD-Text (or CDDB, Musicbrainz) supposed to work with the new infrastructure?

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Tue Aug 24 05:36:58 CEST 2004

I've started looking at updating the libcdio CD-DA plugin. I'm
delighted to see that things are much simpler and all those
mutex_locks's, SetAreas, SelectedAreas and SetPrograms are gone.

However I'm at at a loss of how an access plugin can fill in CD-DA
meta information such as obtained via CD-Text, CDDB, or
Musicbrainz.. The same would be true for a VCD plugin to fill in its
meta information (VCD title, volume number and number of volumes in
collection).

Using the existing CD-DA plugin, I'm not even sure how I see all of
the tracks on the CD, let alone the meta information.  In the vlc
0.7.2, the number of tracks and CDDB information for each track was
available and listed not only in the playlist but in the meta area.

Actually, it be nice if the GUI's had some real-estate set aside where
say an Album/DVD/VCD title (or better use-cusomtizable title) could be
displayed. Right now there is a MRL, but that just tells you the kind
of thing getting played not *what* it is.

Looking at demux/mkv.cpp, I see that meta information is requested
from it; why not from access plugins? Also looking at vlc_meta.h I see
many VLC_META information relevant to CD-DA or VCD, but there are also
a number missing. (On the other hand, if there's no way to set any of this
then I guess the point is moot.)