[vlc-devel] Re: How is CD-Text (or CDDB, Musicbrainz) supposed to work with the new infrastructure?

Clément Stenac zorglub at via.ecp.fr
Tue Aug 24 13:08:06 CEST 2004

Hello,

Glad to see that we might have an improved CD plugin back

> However I'm at at a loss of how an access plugin can fill in CD-DA
> meta information such as obtained via CD-Text, CDDB, or
> Musicbrainz.. The same would be true for a VCD plugin to fill in its
> meta information (VCD title, volume number and number of volumes in
> collection)

You can use p_input->input.p_item and store meta information here (not
sure if you are allowed to use input_Control( INPUT_ADD_INFO ) in an
access module)

> Using the existing CD-DA plugin, I'm not even sure how I see all of
> the tracks on the CD, let alone the meta information.

These are stored as "titles" (look in the navigation menu), at the
moment. As anyway, this plugin does not get any meta-information, it's
not really a problem, but I agree the CDDB-enabled plugin should create
playlist items for each track.

I am currently working on an improved playlist core which allows for
tree structure, so you could have the original CD playlist item which
contains one child item for each track.

(It would be fine, if we could have a probing system, with a part of a
CD module that would remain loaded and check when a CD is inserted and
add the playlist items automatically)

> Actually, it be nice if the GUI's had some real-estate set aside where
> say an Album/DVD/VCD title (or better use-cusomtizable title) could be
> displayed. Right now there is a MRL, but that just tells you the kind
> of thing getting played not *what* it is.

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean. You can set the psz_name
field of the input item, can't you ?

> Looking at demux/mkv.cpp, I see that meta information is requested
> from it; why not from access plugins? Also looking at vlc_meta.h I see
> many VLC_META information relevant to CD-DA or VCD, but there are also
> a number missing. (On the other hand, if there's no way to set any of
> this
> then I guess the point is moot.)

Anyway, isn't your plugin an access+demux ? there is a new type of
modules: access_demux that you could use (look at v4l for example)

anyway, don't hesitate to come on the irc channel for a more live
discussion about these issues.

Good luck

--
Zorglub