[vlc-devel] order of preferences

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Wed Aug 25 20:55:32 CEST 2004

Here is a small thing I noticed in trying to get change an access
plugin's settings variables in vlc.

Previously If I wanted to set a plugin in the settings menu I'd looks
for "plugins" and thereafter I'd find I think "access" and then name,
e.g. dvd, cdda.

Now I have to somehow know what demuxer property the plugin uses
"access2", "access-demux", or whatever.  I think better than all of
this is just a two-level approach, "plugins" and "name-of-plugin". If
this is too unweildy because there are lots of plugins then I think
something more along the lines plugin, A-K plugins, name-of-plugin.

Having folks make be aware of what demuxer type for an access plugin
(or any other plugin), or as before knowing that a subtitle plugin is
some sort of "codec" seems to be a bit weird.