[vlc-devel] Re: [RFR] order of preferences

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Wed Aug 25 23:29:56 CEST 2004

Gildas Bazin writes:
 > Alphabetic sorting might be better in your opinion but I personally don't
 > like it.

Okay to each his/her own taste.

 > Alphabetic sorting is fine if you know the name of the module you are
 > looking for but let's be honest most people won't.

But it's not like I can't guess things like DVD, VCD CD,
MPEG. Although the names might not be DVD, CD, or VCD, or MPEG, it
gets you close enough to select the right one.

 > Most likely they'll just browse for all the settings related to a certain
 > category like video or such.

Or one could also browse a sparse alphabetized list like A-I, J-R,
S-Z. I think I prefer that than 25 or so letter tabs.

 > And yes, I agree that the category listing needs to be improved... but as
 > always, the current attempt was better than nothing ;)

The reason I made a comment was that I thought it was worse than
before (or if nothing had been additionally done).

 > --
 > Gildas
 >
 > PS: there's always the choice of providing alternative sorting options but I
 > will not be the one spending time on this ;)

Someone put some work on this, so it's disappointing to me that the
result is not as good as before. But that's just my opinion. If other
find this arrangement better than before, great!