[vlc-devel] Re: PTZ control module for VLC

Torsten Spindler spindler at hbt.arch.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 31 15:18:14 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 12:55, Daniel M. Lambea wrote:
>   I need the camera to stream a Town Hall's public session over that
> Town Hall's intranet. They have a very good sound equipment, and I got
> a stereo audio cable directly to the computer. Originally, they had a
> BNC-connected videocam, but once they switched to a network camera it
> came the audio/video problem. Looks like that model, Axis 230 MPEG-2,
> makes the job with the audio. So I think if I plugged the audio cable
> into the external audio interface, I'd get the complete audio/video
> stream over HTTP directly to the VLC player, am I right?

Yes, that's right. It's a mpeg stream with video and audio data
included. At LinuxTag we had some problems with vlc stopping recording,
but an added --loop minimized impact.

>   If that worked, I would need no more than the ptz control, and the
> software I currently use... :-)

I recommend heavily testing your setup, especially zooming in and out
sometimes made vlc stop. On a presentation yesterday with vlc snapshot
from Friday it worked flawless though.

Bye,
Torsten