[vlc-devel] Re: Problems in vlc with streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Dec 20 22:02:56 CET 2004

>At first I thought it was the firewall but then I used
>realplayer and works so that seems not to be the prob.
>Has anyone any clue.

The problem is that RTP/UDP packets from the server are not reaching your
client (VLC).  Your firewall does, indeed, seem to be the problem.

A solution (other than fixing your firewall) is to request streaming of
RTP-over-TCP.  RealPlayer (and QuickTime Player) requests this
automatically (if no RTP/UDP packets are received within a short period of
time).  For VLC, however, you have to set this up explicitly.

As I noted in an earlier message:
This is supported as an option, but the mechanism for turning it on is
ridiculously baroque:
         Settings -> Preferences... -> Modules -> access_demux -> livedotcom
         Then click the "advanced options" check box
         Then click the "Use RTP over RTSP (TCP)" check box.

     Ross.