[vlc-devel] Re: Problems in vlc with streams

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Wed Dec 22 12:14:42 CET 2004

On 20 dec 2004, at 22:02, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> At first I thought it was the firewall but then I used
>> realplayer and works so that seems not to be the prob.
>> Has anyone any clue.
>
> The problem is that RTP/UDP packets from the server are not reaching
> your client (VLC).  Your firewall does, indeed, seem to be the
> problem.
>
> A solution (other than fixing your firewall) is to request streaming
> of RTP-over-TCP.  RealPlayer (and QuickTime Player) requests this
> automatically (if no RTP/UDP packets are received within a short
> period of time).  For VLC, however, you have to set this up
> explicitly.

Mmm, getting back to this...
It would be nice if we could automate this for VLC as well of course ...
The problem would be multicast streams which can take upto 15 seconds
to setup. So in this particular case, the current behaviour might be
preferable.
Ross, any ideas on this?

DJ

> As I noted in an earlier message:
> This is supported as an option, but the mechanism for turning it on is
> ridiculously baroque:
>         Settings -> Preferences... -> Modules -> access_demux ->
> livedotcom
>         Then click the "advanced options" check box
>         Then click the "Use RTP over RTSP (TCP)" check box.

---
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan Hartman (d.hartman at student.utwente dot nl)
http://home.student.utwente.nl/d.hartman