[vlc-devel] Re: Audio only MPEG-2 TS not playing

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Thu Dec 23 13:02:05 CET 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:48:51 +0100, Christophe Massiot
<massiot at via.ecp.fr> wrote:

>> Attachment converted: Mareva:radio_not_playing.txt (TEXT/ttxt)
>> (004C8AF2)
>
> For this one, there is no packet on PID 2340. Probably the demux filter
> wasn't set properly.

Is there anything I can do about that?

>> Attachment converted: Mareva:radio_not_playing1.txt (TEXT/ttxt)
>> (004C8AF3)
>
> The mpeg_audio decoder receives packets but can't find a frame start.
> Maybe the unit_start_indicator isn't set properly, or there is no MPEG
> frame in there.

I've uploaded a sample stream to
ftp.videolan.org/incoming/radio_mplayer.dump

It didn't have much luck using VLC to dump the stream, but it dumps and
plays back with mplayer. Playing back the dumped stream from disk with
VLC not successful, log file for that attached as
vlc_audio_only_stream_from_disk.txt.gz

Attached also verbose output from mplayer successfully playing the stream,
log file is mplayer_radio.txt.gz

> Note that the stream type of both streams is 0x3 (MPEG1 audio), whereas
> in the cases of satellite radios I know, the stream type used is 0x4
> (MPEG2 audio).

Are you sure? I can see the first stream was 0x3, that was the one with no
packet on PID 2340. It's possible that was a bad stream, the satellite
(Astra 28E) does seem to be having some seperate issues at the moment.

The second one seems to be 0x4,

[00000223] ts demuxer debug:   * es pid=2322 type=4 fcc=mpga

I'll do whatever I can to help track this down. If I'm absolutely forced
to, I can use mplayer for audio only playback but would much prefer to
be using one application for TV and radio.

Dermot.