[vlc-devel] Problem playing some MPEG-4 audio RTSP/RTP streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Feb 23 09:54:23 CET 2004

I have recently been experimenting with the RTSP/RTP support (using our
"LIVE.COM Streaming Media" libraries) that was recently added to
VLC.  Overall, I'm very pleased with VLC - I'm now promoting VLC as the
leading standards-based media player (having pretty much given up on
QuickTime Player, due to its generally poor performance and its increasing
list of unfixed bugs).

However, I did notice a problem playing some MPEG-4 audio
("audio/MPEG4-GENERIC") streams (which QuickTime Player plays OK).  For
example:
	rtsp://mpeg4.sunsite.utk.edu/wuot.sdp
		This plays for only 4 seconds.
	rtsp://rocky.marlboro.edu:554/test1.sdp
		This doesn't play at all.
However, the following stream plays OK:
	rtsp://inet.orban.com/test.sdp

I was running 0.7.1-test1, on Windows.

Does anyone know whether this is a problem with the codec (MPEG-4 audio
decoder), or somewhere within VLC proper?

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>