[vlc-devel] Re: OSX trouble and i'm taking a break from VLC

Jean-Alexis Montignies ja at sente.ch
Thu Feb 26 11:14:13 CET 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 00:41:59 +0100
  Derk-Jan Hartman <hartman at videolan.org> wrote:
>As many of you know, i have been real busy as of late.
>For VLC this means I haven't been able to do as much on it as I had wanted
>and planned (did i even do anything lately [on OSX]?).
>This is causing several OSX issues to be a serious problem atm.

>- audio output is frelled. look at how portaudio does things. possibly drop
>5:1 output, since no one seems to know how to do it correctly
Well it seems that no sounds comes out with DVDs for the current test version.
But it may not be related to audio.

I personally want 5:1 support and it worked with my previous interface. No
other software can play 5:1 analog ouptut from DVDs.

>- preferences are horrific. a total disaster. the int options with string
>descriptions are broken. the hotkeys too.
I never understood anything about the preferences.

>I'm really unsatisfied with how VLC is on OSX now. And it's burning a hole
>straight trough my heart. But it is how it is.
>For the next 2 or 3 months, I will have no time for VLC, as i didn't really
>have time for it the past 2 months.
>
>Since I have real trouble restraining myself from doing VideoLAN related
>things, i'm gonna make a clean cut. i won't code anymore, won't visit the
>forums anymore and not use IRC anymore. I think it's the only way to not do a
>half job on two things.
>
>I hope bigben and titer can keep it a bit maintained, but they might be in
>over their head. i'll try to help if i have the time. ( mail or an irc ping
>will do the trick )

>I hope to be back soon, bye all.
Good rest :), thank for the work.

>DJ