[vlc-devel] [RFC] Playlist save/load

Clément Stenac zorglub at via.ecp.fr
Thu Jan 1 15:19:13 CET 2004

Hello,

The current format used to save and load playlists is not adapted
anymore, given the improvements that were done to playlist management,
as it only saves the URI of the items.

We need to define a new format for this.

I propose to use a XML format.

Structure would be like:

<playlist name="..." version="...">
   <item uri="..." name="..." duration="..." enabled="..." group="..."
         autodelete=".."  played="..">
      <category name="...">
        <info name="..." value="..." />
        <info name="..." value="..." />
      </category>
      <category....
      </category>
   </item
   <item .....>
     .
     .
   </item>
   <group name="..." id="..." />
   <group name="..." id="..." />
</playlist>

Saving could be done either by the playlist core or by a module, as it
only consists of writing in a file.

libxml, and we can't do that link on the core.

This module could either be a demuxer, that would act like the
M3U/B4S/PLS/ASX demuxer; or either by a helper module that would
directly be called by the interface.

I think we can do both, a demux module, that can either be used to
"play" a playlist file, either fed by the interface, because many users
would find strange to "play" a playlist file (I first think to winamp
users).

Waiting for comments,

--
Zorglub