[vlc-devel] Re: Mozilla plugin - mixing web-graphics and video

Sam Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Tue Jan 6 10:21:29 CET 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004, Frank Ekern wrote:

> feature I need to have when I am finished, and
> that is the ability to mix web-graphics with the
> video. I.e. I want to use the web-graphics to
> display EPG, channel list etc. on top of the
> video when the user requests this information
> using DHTML.
>
> Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so,
> how this could be implemented?

   I am fairly sure this is not possible on Unix, and doubt very much
that it can be done on Windows or OS X. The Mozilla plugin is handled
its own window in which to draw, and anything the browser further draws
in this area will actually be drawn _under_ the window, hence invisible.

   If you need to display additional information on top of the video,
that should be done by VLC only. Then you can add JavaScript hooks to
these features in the Mozilla plugin so that they can be accessed by a
webpage.

--
Sam.