[vlc-devel] Re: stringreview

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Sun Jan 25 11:06:53 CET 2004

On Saturday 24 January 2004 23:19, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

> What to look for?
> - untranslated strings which should be translated (that means "" ->
> _("") etc.)
> - incorrect phrasing of strings.
> - duplicity or rather lack there off, which results in something having
> to be translated 4 times
> - missing information which should be there ( i'm thinking preferences )
> - correctness and usefulness of the existing strings. (also thinking
> about prefs )
> - punctuation usage ( start lines with a capital, end with a . etc.)
> - stuff that shouldn't be translated, but atm is. ("mms://")
> - consistent usage of either the word modules or the word plugins (and
> similar cases)
> - preferences short strings should contain unit and range ( 0-360
> degrees) ( Hz ) etc., so the user knows what kind of number to enter.
> - VideoLAN Client should be VLC media player
> - www.videolan.org -> download.videolan.org where appropriate.
> - msg_* doesn't need translation in essence.
> - use one VLC media player description string and one copyright string
> (as in use by wxwindows and macosx)

There's also another thing that would need to be looked at.

In each module's declaration section ( vlc_module_begin()/end() ) there is a
string which isn't used in most cases.
add_category_hint() is supposed to be there in case you want to separate the
config options in one module into different sections but right now it is
actually only useful for the main module which has about 100 options.

I think add_category_hint() should be made optional and removed from most of
the modules where it isn't needed. That will probably break a couple of
interfaces like the GTK one but it should be easily fixeable.

--
Gildas