[vlc-devel] Re: CVS Commit (rocky)

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Mon Jan 26 09:23:36 CET 2004

R. Bernstein wrote:
> Sigmund Augdal writes:
>  > Does this mean that it actually work without iconv? I whould be impressed.
>
> No, it means that will compile which is better than what was there. If
> freetype doesn't work without iconv then those #ifdef's should be
> more pervasive and guarding just little bits of code. Or put in maybe
> something like:
>
> #ifndef ICONV
>  error "you need libiconv to for freetype support"
> #endif

This is a BAD IDEA!

If iconv is needed for freetype to work, then the above error should be
generated in the ./configure state. In otherwords an appropriate check
should be made in the configure.ac file. This is were autoconf is for!

Nothing is more irritating then finding out during the compile that you
missed a library. That is why VLC comes with autoconf.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman