[vlc-devel] Re: CVS Commit (rocky)

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Mon Jan 26 13:30:57 CET 2004

Jean-Paul Saman writes:
 > This is a BAD IDEA!
 >
 > If iconv is needed for freetype to work, then the above error should be
 > generated in the ./configure state. In otherwords an appropriate check
 > should be made in the configure.ac file. This is were autoconf is for!

That's cool too. But in ADDITION, have that check in freetype if it
NEEDS to be there rather than lots of little bits of code that gives
the impression that it is optional (and as before) misses some of the
places.

Does someone who claims to know/understand/author freetype want to
handle?

(And until then, what's there now is an improvement over what had been
there - I was finally able to get vlc to compile on Solaris.)

 > Nothing is more irritating then finding out during the compile that you
 > missed a library. That is why VLC comes with autoconf.

Irritating enough to fix it in the way you think it should be?