[vlc-devel] My experience building VLC 0.7.2 from source RPMs on FC2

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Thu Jul 1 02:00:26 CEST 2004

Gabriel L. Somlo writes:
 > vcdimager and libcdio
 > ---------------------
 >
 > There were no source packages for vcdimager-0.7.20 and libcdio. For
 > the former, I grabbed vcdimager-0.7.20-0.pm.1.src.rpm
 > <http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/8.1/SRPMS/vcdimager-0.7.20-0.pm.1.src.rpm>
 > from packman.iu-bremen.de. For the latter, I grabbed an old source RPM
 > form VLC 0.7.1 and used its spec file with the libcdio-0.69.tar.gz

I am delighted that you used libcdio 0.69, since that is the best
version of libcdio to date. When you run configure, libcdio generates
a spec file. Why not use that rather than an one from an old source
RPM?

 > These two packages have a circular dependency going on,

Not really. Read README.libcdio.

 > that resolved a conflict with the /usr/share/info/dir file.

I guess you are referring to adding this line to the SPEC file:

  # remove infodir/dir file conflict
  rm -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_infodir}/dir

I'm not a RPM expert, but I'll run it by the person who has been
advising me on such matters.

I'm all for making libcdio easier to configure, install or
package. But the changes should be based on best practices and
understanding what's going on (i.e understanding the installation or
packaging instructions), rather than one persons desire to see if he
can get it packaged.