[vlc-devel] enable-pvr

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at acns.colostate.edu
Thu Jul 1 18:20:14 CEST 2004

Jason,

the --enable-pvr flag would enable vlc to drive the hauppauge
win-tv-pvr 250/350 directly. Drivers for this card are supplied by the
ivtv project (http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/), but IIRC the version that
supports kernels 2.6.X is still alpha/beta.

Really, if you use --enable-pvr in building vlc, you don't need the
ivtv package neither to build, nor to run vlc. It's just nice to have
there in case the ivtv driver *happens* to be present on the system :)
If ivtv and/or a hauppauge card aren't present, vlc merely tries to
open /dev/video0 unsuccessfully. I think I'd rather not have vlc
depend on / require ivtv if push comes to shove :)

Thanks much,
Gabriel