[vlc-devel] Re: big audioproblems

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Fri Jul 30 09:09:33 CEST 2004

On Friday 30 July 2004 00:48, Maik Diessner wrote:
> can any of the developers please take a look at that:
>
> http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=3421
> http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=3500
> http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=2938
>

> all these problems occur with vlc 0.7.2 and also with the latest nightly
> 0.7.3 (29.07.2004) on windows xp sp1 ...
>
> but they only occur on some systems! read the threads for details.
>

> would be really nice if these problems could be fixed ...

If you want my opinion on this, your soundcard drivers are probably buggy.

The directsound emulation doesn't seem to be reporting the current playing
position correctly thus leading VLC to believe the soundcard is playing
either too quick or too slow and then resampling to correct the problem.

The waveout driver doesn't seem to have this problem, however it doesn't
seem to handle FLOAT32 format correctly (gives distorted sound). I can add
an option to force waveout to use 16 bits PCM instead of FLOAT32, but that
doesn't change the fact that the soundcard shouldn't accept FLOAT32 if it
doesn't support it correctly.

--
Gildas