[vlc-devel] Re: [MOD] Mac OSX multichannel patch

Jean-Alexis Montignies ja at sente.ch
Fri Jun 4 12:03:17 CEST 2004

Hi Matt (and all folks),

I think I'm the last one to have patched coreaudio.c. I've just changed
the code so that it works with other streams than the first one. In my
idea, it was a quick patch.

There is a right and easiest solution for making it work in all cases
(at least for a single interface) and have the user being able to map
the channels.
It is to use the HALAudioOutputUnit of core audio which does all
conversion/mapping/interleaving for you.

Now, another problem of VLC is that it decides which kind of surround
to use depending on the number of channels you have on the interface.
So if you have a 20 channels interface, it could be lost or output to 8
channels, even if you have less speakers (let's say 4 or 5 for
instance) connected.

Any idea on where to select the surround setup.

I've tried in the audio-channels menu, but my code just don't work for
ouputs with more than 2 channels (even the left/right selection in the
repository code doesn't work on more than stereo interfaces). Any ideas
why?

Jean-Alexis Montignies
http://www.sente.ch/