[vlc-devel] Re: [MOD] Mac OSX multichannel patch

Matthew Romaine Matthew.Romaine at jp.sony.com
Mon Jun 7 11:16:10 CEST 2004

Hi Jean-Alexis and others,

I did a fairly thorough search for "HALAudioOutputUnit" on my system
but was not able to find what you mention.  I couldn't find it in any
of the CoreAudio documentation either... where should I be looking?

What are VLC developer's thoughts on integrating OS-specific features?
While it's true using AudioUnits would make implementing many features
(such as filters, etc.) easier, if it's just support for multichannel
that is needed, then I think doing it directly with CoreAudio is best.

The original patch allowed selecting a different stream, which was nice
if there was a single stream to handle all channels.  Unfortunately,
device manufacturers don't like to work together sometimes :)  Thus,
there are some devices that require multiple streams being used at
once.

As such, I'm not aware of any simple function that will return a list
of streams to accommodate a certain channel setting.  For example, the
RME Hammerfall supports 18 channels, but all streams are mono (thus, 18
streams).  If a user wants to output 5.1, I don't think there is a
function call that will return a pointer to just 6 mono streams.
Likewise, the MOTU 896 has stream 1 supporting 2 channels, and stream 2
supporting 8 channels.  If a user wants to output 5.1, there are at
least two ways -- use the first two channels of stream 1 and 4 channels
from stream 2, or use 6 channels from the 8 in stream 2.  Generally,
the latter approach is preferred in most scenarios since stream 1 is
usually the main outs, and oftentimes devices will mix down to the main
outs anyways.

Like Jean-Alexis points out, VLC-OSX apparently doesn't allow a user to
change which channel-setup to use.  My patch basically chose whatever
stream(s) held the most options. (actually, I was testing 5.1 and
forgot to un-comment the 8ch support; sorry).  My thinking is that a
simple drop-down on the pane where it currently only says "Audio
Device: -1 (under preferences->modules->audio_output->coreaudio) would
be a nice for now.  This would require obtaining a list of options from
the coreaudio.c audio_output module.  I would be happy to create said
access function, but I'm not sure if the interface between the UI and
the module exists...

thanks,
matt