[vlc-devel] Re: suse x86_64

Brian pro.nerd at phreaker.net
Sun Jun 20 17:18:26 CEST 2004

Hi,

Good of you to offer your time.  I had originally offered to take over
as the package maintainer for Suse.  As it worked out an emergency
migration project at work has me working 70hr. weeks so I have not had
time as of late to start to contribute.  Additionally, resent
frustrations with Suse have had me thinking about changing distros.

If you have never built RPM's before(nigher have I ) there is some
helpful reading at rpm.org

specifically this page gives a nice over view of the process
http://www.rpm.org/howto/thefight/

The page has more in depth details of the steps involved
http://www.rpm.org/RPM-HOWTO/

The easiest way to start would probably be to take an existing package,
like the Red Hat RPMs and  add the additional packages to satisfy their
dependencies on Suse.  From there you could start looking at building a
stand alone Suse package.

I posted some details on the forum the additional RPMs needed to install
VLC .7 on Suse 9.0
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=1092

I will be glad to help you out in any way that I can.  Feel free to
email me directly with questions.

Henrik Nørr wrote:

    Hi,

    I noticed that you haven't got any suse rpms, I would gladly help.
    I'm running suse 9.1 x86_64, but I am a newbie to compiling
    installs. but if someone could guide me, I would gladly help.

    /regards

    Henrik Noerr