[vlc-devel] Question about libpng

Mark Wells mark.wells at oxsemi.com
Mon Jun 21 11:55:04 CEST 2004

Hello

Following instructions on
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/osx-compile.html

I have the contrib compiled correctly using make src. When I attempt to
compile vlc using make, i get this after a while:

Making all in ogt
gcc -Wsign-compare -Wall
-I/Users/richardpilkington/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/include
-no-cpp-precomp -D_INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS -finline-limit-30000 -pipe
-L/Users/richardpilkington/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/vlc-lib
-L/Users/richardpilkington/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/lib -o
libsvcdsub_plugin.dylib libsvcdsub_plugin_a-common.o
libsvcdsub_plugin_a-ogt.o libsvcdsub_plugin_a-ogt_parse.o
libsvcdsub_plugin_a-pixmap.o libsvcdsub_plugin_a-render.o
libsvcdsub_plugin_a-write_png.o `top_builddir=../../..
../../../vlc-config --libs plugin svcdsub`
gcc: unrecognized option `-shared'
ld: table of contents for archive: /usr/local/lib/libpng.a is out of
date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
make[6]: *** [libsvcdsub_plugin.dylib] Error 1
make[5]: *** [all-modules] Error 1
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I went back to /extras/contrib to check for the presence of libpng, and
I found that it didnt seem to be in the Makefile, although it is
defined as a prerequisite library for vlc. Am I meant to get this
library individually? or am i meant to use fink to get this library? (I
tried this and it didnt seem to make any difference) I think I have
disabled fink correctly, (as instructed) but could this problem be
caused because this has not been successful?

:oS

Mark