[vlc-devel] Re: vout_Create (again)

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Mon Mar 1 23:58:07 CET 2004

I think I answered you briefly on the vlc list once, but I'll try again.
Also note that this is how I would have done this, and it may not me the
only good way to go.

1: create two config options "video-x" and "video-y" by add_integer at the
right place in src/libvlc.h
2: modify the vout you will use to read the value of "video-x" and "video-y"
using var_Create( p_vout, "video-x", VLC_VAR_INTEGER|VLC_VAR_DOINHERIT );
followed by var_Get( p_vout, "video-x", &val ); And use this value as the
position when creating the video window.

At this point you should be able to place the video window by running vlc
--video-x 100 --video-y 200 etc

3: modify wall.c to do the same var_Create, and the use var_Set to set the
wanted coordinates before each vout_Create call.

Alternativly you could alter the vout module to listen for changes in it's
"video-x" and "video-y" using var_AddCallback() and use var_Set on the
created vout's "video-x" and "video-y" variables imidiately after the call
to vout_Create.

Try fiddling with this, and if there is something particular you don't
understand, please ask again (with a more precise question).

Sigmund Augdal

PS point 1 and 2 is of general interrest and could be used for many things,
I would be happy to see a patch implementing those.