[vlc-devel] Re: Sgi mediabase and XDMA streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Mar 5 01:25:18 CET 2004

>The windows 0.7.1 version actually got further (newer live.com build).
>However i couldn't copy the debug messages live printed in the
>windows-console. It found a audio and a video stream, then stopping with:
>
>livedotcom debug: RTP subsession 'video/MPV'
>livedotcom debug: RTP subsession 'audio/MPA'
>livedotcom error: PLAY failed No RTSP session is currently in progress
>
>The part it doesn't like seems to be:
>after Sending request: SETUP
>It shows:
>Transport: RTP/AVP;unicast;client_port=2310-2311
>adn then
>Received SETUP response: RTSP/1.0 461 Unsupported Transport
>Message: Unsupported Transport for this format
>
>(Which is actually the same thing QT reports when you try this.)

That's the problem: the RTSP server says that - for some strange reason -
it can't do standard RTP unicast streaming.  I.e., the problem is with your
RTSP server.

When I try opening
rtsp://popeye.surfnet.nl/production/rug/rug_stadtman/hartvannederland_130204.mpg

the server reports:
         Server: Kasenna MediaBase version 6.1
So, you should ask "Kasenna" why their product is non-compliant.

>I tried xdma (and rtsp version of the link) in QT, RealOne and mplayer and
>none of them understood it.
>So I was wondering how far from rtsp this format is, and whether perhaps
>live.com could have a compatibility mode that would support it?
>How feasible is this?

Not very.  I'm generally disinclined to support non-standard protocols and
formats (although if Kasenna, or anyone else, is interested in paying my
company to do this, I might consider it :-)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>