[vlc-devel] Re: Sgi mediabase and XDMA streams

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Wed Mar 24 14:51:23 CET 2004

K, kasenna and mediabase really sucks.
Small overview of what i found out so far.

1: They use different RTSP implementations for their MPEG1/2 and their
MPEG4 streams
2: MPEG1/2 rtsp does not do sdp's but rtsl or something
3: some of the sessions don't like the SETUP live.com requests.. TODO:
find out what the servers normally returns after a SETUP
4: They use mediabase 'metafiles'
5: The multicast UDP streams from kasenna are probably meant for rtsp?
not valid TS

BTW. working with these highbandwith streams over long distances, i'm
also getting increasingly more aware of the possible benefits of packet
reordering :)

Example of 1:
rtsp://videoserver.nob.nl/demo/ebu-susie.mp4
Works with vlc.
Though the stream behaves really weird. it gets out of sync after a
couple of secs, reports PTS errors does several Late picture skipped
messages and gets back on track again (infinite loop of this
behaviour).
This may be of interest?
[00000225] livedotcom input debug:
tk->rtpSource->hasBeenSynchronizedUsingRTCP()
[00000225] livedotcom input debug:
tk->rtpSource->hasBeenSynchronizedUsingRTCP()

Example of case 2:
I understand this x-rtsp-mh was scrapped from the standard?

Sending request: DESCRIBE rtsp://videoserver.nob.nl/demo/r_kelly
RTSP/1.0
CSeq: 1
Accept: application/rtsl

Received DESCRIBE response: RTSP/1.0 200 OK
CSeq: 1