[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] Command line for OS - X

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Mon Mar 8 23:19:43 CET 2004

Marc Ray wrote:

> Derek,
>
> You seem to be the resident mac guru around here. I hope you don¹t mind me
> picking your brain but I have a question for you.

I actually sorta retired from VLC coding recently, but questions are
always free to be asked.

> First let me introduce
> myself.  I work for the Florida State University department of Dance and we
> are beginning to be heavily involved with telematics events over Internet2.
> I do not know if you are familiar with internet2, but it is a high speed
> internet dedicated to universities and research organizations.

I believe University Twente where i study is connected to that as well.
(1Gb uplink)

> Recently we
> did an event where using DVTS (http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/DVTS/) to blast dv
> video at 30mbps across internet2 to Wayne State University with less than 1
> second of latency. This software is great as it simply wraps the dv packets
> in udp/rtp packets and zips them along. The downside is that it uses 30mbps
> and it pushes our network connection to I2 to the limit.  I was looking at
> using vlc as a possible solution to do some compression with minimal latency
> as it seems like a very effective program, as does the ffmpeg encoder.

it sure can be. however latency is always an issue. transcoding for
instance usually introduces about .2 seconds of latency. if you set
buffering low and things like that, you can get a pretty small latency,
but it will never be less than .5 seconds i think. when streaming over a
  long distance that is bound to increase to something over 1 second of
latency.

> My
> question is how difficult do you think it would be to add firewire support
> to VLC if I have the I/O routines already detailed in dvts?  I know this
> issue has been beat to death on the vlc lists, but given my minimal
> programming experience it seems very possible since dvts already has the
> IEEE1394 routines mapped out for os-x, linux, and free bsd.

When you have the calls present, it should be relativly easy. just a new
module for modules/access i guess.

> I achieved
> great performance on the windows version of VLC using the direct x firwire
> input and transcending to mpeg4 with about 1 second of latency.

Wow, i didn't know that could be done. Nice !!!