[vlc-devel] Re: LIVE.COM client code

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Mon Mar 22 10:33:03 CET 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 03:57:12PM -0800, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> >Do live.com properly handle single rtps streams with several "contributing
> >sources" (at least I think that is the name for it).
>
> First, just to clarify: You mean:
>         "single *RTP* streams with several *Synchronization Sources*
>         (SSRCs)"
Sorry I got the jargon wrong.

> >On the mbone there are several streams called "views from blah" and "places
> >all over bah". When played in "vic" these show up several windows videos
> >(one for each location) but in vlc all codec data is fed to one decoder
>
> Right.  At present the LIVE.COM RTP client code doesn't have the ability to
> demultiplex incoming RTP streams based on the SSRC field; however, support
> for this could be added, if desired.
It would be nice, but not high priority. Unless this feature is used by
other more "modern" streams.

> More importantly, though: Even if the LIVE.COM RTP client code supported
> demultiplexing based on SSRCs, would VLC be able to do anything with
> this?  In particular, would the VLC GUI be able to display the "Places all
> over the world" session by popping up multiple video windows - one for each
> source??  (If the VLC GUI can't do this, then the whole question of
> LIVE.COM client support for this is moot.)
VLC, at least on windows/linux have no problem playing several video streams
at once. Or even splitting one video stream into several windows. We did
have discussions on what the right thing to is, when reading a stream with
several video streams, and currently all streams are played untill the user
selects one in the menu, after which you can't have more than one anymore
(though you can still change stream).

> (Another issue: Many of these MBone video streams use H.261, and the last
> time I checked, VLC couldn't play H.261.  But maybe I'm mistaken...)
As of yesterday, my local VLC tree does. :) If I find time/ motivation I
will add it to svn.

> In any case, this has branched off-topic from my original message (earlier
> today), which was about RTSP/RTP *server* (not client) support in VLS+VLC.
Indeed, though my original message was somewhat on topic to that commit as
well.

Sigmund