[vlc-devel] Re: LIVE.COM client code

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Mar 22 00:57:12 CET 2004

>Do live.com properly handle single rtps streams with several "contributing
>sources" (at least I think that is the name for it).

First, just to clarify: You mean:
         "single *RTP* streams with several *Synchronization Sources* (SSRCs)"

>On the mbone there are several streams called "views from blah" and "places
>all over bah". When played in "vic" these show up several windows videos
>(one for each location) but in vlc all codec data is fed to one decoder

Right.  At present the LIVE.COM RTP client code doesn't have the ability to
demultiplex incoming RTP streams based on the SSRC field; however, support
for this could be added, if desired.

More importantly, though: Even if the LIVE.COM RTP client code supported
demultiplexing based on SSRCs, would VLC be able to do anything with
this?  In particular, would the VLC GUI be able to display the "Places all
over the world" session by popping up multiple video windows - one for each
source??  (If the VLC GUI can't do this, then the whole question of
LIVE.COM client support for this is moot.)

(Another issue: Many of these MBone video streams use H.261, and the last
time I checked, VLC couldn't play H.261.  But maybe I'm mistaken...)

In any case, this has branched off-topic from my original message (earlier
today), which was about RTSP/RTP *server* (not client) support in VLS+VLC.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>