[vlc-devel] Re: [Patch] Xscreensaver plugin

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Wed Mar 31 11:53:42 CEST 2004

I don't know how useful or useless the patch is. You may get a better
feel for the usefulness on a user list rather than a developer list.

My guess as to why you have not gotten remarks, comments or feedback
is no time, or not enough interest for this particular kind of thing. Alas, a
media player is a very very broad thing and I wouldn't expect everyone
to be interested in every aspect of it - I'm not.

My own judgment is that folks on vlc-devel tend to be focused on their
own projects. And I confess I am guilty of the latter too.

If you want comments or criticism on ways to improve programming, I invite you to work
on one of the many things I'd like to be seen done:

-  CD reading routines for Mac OSX  (in libcdio)
-  yellow/green mode detection for the ASPI driver on Microsoft Windows (also libcdio)
-  improve the DVD subtitles to handle all of the color planes and
   more chromas but expanding the work on the VCD subtitles
-  expand the VCD PNG writing routine into a module so screenshots of pictures might
   be made
-  Figure how to do video stream switching between VCD Still MPEGs and motion can be done.
-  Add a routine to retrieve stream info (there is an input_AddInfo and an input_DelInfo,
   but not a input_GetInfo)
-  Add a routine or macro that is the opposite of the FOURC() to turn a vlc_fourcc_t into a
   string. It's basically: sprintf( p, "%4.4s", (char*)&i_fourcc );

Some of these are kind of difficult to do (i.e. I don't have a clue)
and some are not difficult but just require work. And I don't really
expect you to have an interest in any of these any more than I have in
say a xscreensaver plugin :-)