[vlc-devel] compiling modules

Matthew Romaine Matthew.Romaine at jp.sony.com
Mon May 17 08:42:17 CEST 2004

Folks,

Sorry for all the newbie questions; VLC is a fantastic project and I'm
thoroughly impressed with what you guys have done.  There's just a lot
wrap my head around!

I've been trying to compile my own module following the instructions on
modifying Modules.am under modules/codec, as well as adding an entry in
AX_ADD_PLUGINS, but looking at the Makefile lines for the other codecs
I'm guessing I need to add more information.  Is there a more detailed
explanation of the changes needed, or am I to just cut/paste and follow
a similar module's entries?  I'm assuming modifying configure.ac is the
way to go...

Also, for those using OSX, the source for vlc-0.7.1, and wanting to
compile their own modules, I had to upgrade automake and autoconf so
that aclocal could regenerate configure.in files incorporating my own
module.  Unfortunately the upgrades seemed to generate a broken
configure, so simply typing "make" spits out the error:

$ make
srcdir=. ./toolbox --update-includes
srcdir=. ./toolbox --update-includes
srcdir=. ./toolbox --update-includes
cd . && /bin/sh /Users/mromaine/code_bases/vlc-0.7.1/autotools/missing
--run autoheader
touch ./)].in)].in
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: ~touch ./)].in)].in'

doing a
$make vlc
makes it compile fine, although I had to manually compile a few
subdirectories since make didn't recurse into them...

thnx,
matt