[vlc-devel] additional decoder support

Matthew Romaine Matthew.Romaine at jp.sony.com
Mon May 17 06:22:47 CEST 2004

Hello,

Thanks Gildas for suggesting which decoders to look at.

I'm a little bit confused in how "packetizers" and "blocks" are used.
In poking around the other decoders (mpeg_audio.c and flac.c), I've
noticed extensive code in handling different states (STATE_NOSYNC,
etc.).  The questions that (I think) will help me along are:

1) are packetizers used for creating "frames" of audio for network
transmission?
2) is flac.c's PacketizeBlock used to ensure a decode-able frame of
data is received before actually decoding the data?

In a hypothetical situation for the decoder I am working with, I need
to have a certain fixed-size frame of raw data before I can send it
along to the decoder.  I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around
the pipeline, but would someone kindly fill in the blanks below? :

(blank - who calls OpenDecoder?)  -->  flac.c's DecodeBlock gets called
-->  (blank - where does the buffer go?)

any other comments/suggestions on where I should look would be much
appreciated.  Ultimately my goal is to incorporate a network-streamed
version running (I already have a liveMedia test-app working), so if
there are certain network-related issues I should consider, please
comment as such.

Much appreciated,
Matt