[vlc-devel] importing wxWindows xrc functionality for win32

David Murray dim at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun May 30 22:06:07 CEST 2004

Howdy,

This is the student from CMU that wrote a few days ago...so, I'm attempting
to develop an interface plugin using wxWindows for win32 using cygwin, and
I am interested in using XRC files. I figured a first step would be to
start with the wxWindows interface plugin already developed for VLC, and
see if I can implement xrc functionality.

Although some of the contrib packages for other operating systems include
the xrc libraries, the win32 contrib package unfortunately doesn't. I
attempted to build it manually from wxWindows, but I've been having
difficulty linking.  I've been working on this for the last couple of days
and finally I decided the vlc dlist would know best, so I thought I'd ask
here.

When I install the xrc library, it goes to
usr\local\lib\libwx_msw_xrc-2.5.a.
In the contrib library, though, the module libraries currently being used
by the wxwindows interface plugin are listed as:

usr\win32\lib\libwx_msw_core-2.5-i586-mingw32msvc.a
usr\win32\lib\libwx_msw_adv-2.5-i586-mingw32msvc.a
etc.

and as far as I understand cygwin emulates i686, not i586...making me thing
that there's some compatibility issue I'm not really understanding. Might
anyone be able to enlighten me so I can get xrc functionality working?

Many thanks!
David Murray