[vlc-devel] Re: importing wxWindows xrc functionality for win32

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Mon May 31 01:14:49 CEST 2004

On Sunday 30 May 2004 22:06, David Murray wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> This is the student from CMU that wrote a few days ago...so, I'm
attempting
> to develop an interface plugin using wxWindows for win32 using cygwin, and
> I am interested in using XRC files. I figured a first step would be to
> start with the wxWindows interface plugin already developed for VLC, and
> see if I can implement xrc functionality.
>
> Although some of the contrib packages for other operating systems include
> the xrc libraries, the win32 contrib package unfortunately doesn't. I
> attempted to build it manually from wxWindows, but I've been having
> difficulty linking.  I've been working on this for the last couple of days
> and finally I decided the vlc dlist would know best, so I thought I'd ask
> here.
>
> When I install the xrc library, it goes to
> usr\local\lib\libwx_msw_xrc-2.5.a.
> In the contrib library, though, the module libraries currently being used
> by the wxwindows interface plugin are listed as:
>
> usr\win32\lib\libwx_msw_core-2.5-i586-mingw32msvc.a
> usr\win32\lib\libwx_msw_adv-2.5-i586-mingw32msvc.a
> etc.
>
> and as far as I understand cygwin emulates i686, not i586...making me
thing
> that there's some compatibility issue I'm not really understanding. Might
> anyone be able to enlighten me so I can get xrc functionality working?

Here is the script I'm using when cross-compiling wxWindows:

PATH=/usr/local/mingw/bin:$PATH \
CC=i586-mingw32msvc-gcc \
   ./configure --host=i586-mingw32msvc \
    --build=i386-linux \
    --prefix=/usr/win32 \
    --disable-shared \
    --disable-compat22 --disable-compat20 \
    --enable-optimise --disable-debug --disable-threads \
    --disable-gif --disable-pcx --disable-iff --disable-pnm \
    --without-zlib --without-libpng --without-libjpeg --without-libtiff \
    --without-regex \
    --disable-gzstream --disable-zipstream --disable-fs_zip \
    --enable-no_rtti --enable-no_exceptions \
    --disable-html --without-expat --disable-exceptions \
    $1 $2 $3
PATH=/usr/local/mingw/bin:$PATH make

If you are using cygwin it should likely be something more like:
CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin" ./configure \
    --disable-shared \
    --disable-compat22 --disable-compat20 \
    --enable-optimise --disable-debug --disable-threads \
    --disable-gif --disable-pcx --disable-iff --disable-pnm \
    --without-zlib --without-libpng --without-libjpeg --without-libtiff \
    --without-regex \
    --disable-gzstream --disable-zipstream --disable-fs_zip \
    --enable-no_rtti --enable-no_exceptions \
    --disable-html --without-expat --disable-exceptions

As for XRC, I actually originally started the wxwindows interface using it
but it was slow as hell and didn't provide all the features I needed so I
dropped that... maybe that has changed though.

--
Gildas