[vlc-devel] How to parse MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 stream to get "layers"

Alvin Chin achin at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Nov 2 01:06:22 CET 2004

I know that MPEG-2 allows you to encode in layers using MPEG-2
scalability and MPEG-4 can encode layers using FGS, but I am wondering
how I can read that information so that I can just send only those
layers to the client.  In other words, create a progressive streaming
media video that just retrieves the base layer and then the user can
request enhancements of the video by getting other layers.

I am trying to read the source code and the API documentation, but I am
kind of lost as to where to read.  I think I have to parse the MPEG
header.  I know that the stream description can be viewed as a tree but
where can I access that tree?

If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.