[vlc-devel] Re: How to parse MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 stream to get "layers"

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Tue Nov 2 01:15:13 CET 2004

At 19:06 -0500 1/11/04, Alvin Chin wrote:

>I know that MPEG-2 allows you to encode in layers using MPEG-2
>scalability and MPEG-4 can encode layers using FGS, but I am
>wondering how I can read that information so that I can just send
>only those layers to the client.  In other words, create a
>progressive streaming media video that just retrieves the base layer
>and then the user can request enhancements of the video by getting
>other layers.
>I am trying to read the source code and the API documentation, but I
>am kind of lost as to where to read.  I think I have to parse the
>MPEG header.  I know that the stream description can be viewed as a
>tree but where can I access that tree?

VLC is an MP at HL MPEG-2 decoder. We do not support scalability. AFAIK
no one supports MPEG-2 scalability. And I have never seen any file
with a base layer and an enhancement layer. I have only seen it
mentioned in ISO/IEC 13818-2 (you probably should get it from
wotsit.org).

Good luck,

--
Christophe Massiot.