[vlc-devel] Re: unofficial vlc 0.8.0 rpms for FC2, RH9 and RHEL3

Alvin Yung Chian Chin achin at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Nov 12 17:22:17 CET 2004

This is what I get when I run "yum install vlc":

[root at sellers Downloads]# yum install vlc
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 -i386 - CAAD Extra RPMS
Server: Dag RPM Repository for older Red Hat Linux
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - freshrpms
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - os
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
getting
/var/cache/yum/freshrpms/headers/videolan-client-devel-0-0.6.0-fr0.1.i386.hdr
videolan-client-devel-0-0 100% |=========================| 2.9 kB    00:00
getting
/var/cache/yum/freshrpms/headers/videolan-client-0-0.6.0-fr0.1.i386.hdr
videolan-client-0-0.6.0-f 100% |=========================|  12 kB    00:00
Resolving dependencies
......identical dependency loop exceeded
package vlc needs fribidi (not provided)
package vlc needs libFLAC.so.4 (not provided)
package vlc needs libfribidi.so.0 (not provided)
package flac needs libFLAC.so.4 (not provided)

My /etc/yum.conf file (which I grabbed from Yum off of the DAG site) is
this:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
gpgcheck=1
tolerant=1
exactarch=1

[os]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - $basearch - os
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/os

[updates]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - $basearch - updates
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/updates

[freshrpms]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms

[dag]
name=Dag RPM Repository for older Red Hat Linux
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag

[caad]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever -$basearch - CAAD Extra RPMS
baseurl=http://holz.ethz.ch/yum/redhat/caad.hbt.arch.ethz.ch/$releasever/$basearch/

Would you know why it is downloading videolan-client and
videolan-client-devel and not vlc instead?

Alvin